Cousin’s Jalapeno Chicken Bites
Everything is better with bacon. No. I do not exaggerate. EVERYTHING. I just had to get that out in the open. I am a bacon addict. There. I’ve said it. Onward and upward.
A few years ago, our family took a trip to California to visit my husbands side of the family. I truly consider them as much of my family as my husband’s. They are all crazy, warm, crazy and fun. Did I mention they were crazy? So much fun. It has been WAY too long since we have seen them. I may have to steal pics off Facebook so you can be introduced.
I don’t know why I waited so long to make it. When KPAX asked for an easy tailgating recipe, I KNEW this had to be it. It is so easy, economical and an absolute crowd pleaser.
- 4 Chicken Breasts cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 8 fresh jalapenos cut in half length wise then cut into 1/2 inch slices width wise (be sure to wear gloves when handling the jalapenos. If you refuse to get gloves or don't have any, wash your hands VERY thoroughly before touching your face or anyone else. I have learned this the hard way)
- 1 lb. bacon cut in half
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak 10 wooden skewers in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees or prepare grill for indirect grilling.
- Sprinkle the chicken with a little salt and pepper.
- Place chicken chunk inside a jalapeno slice then wrap them in a half strip of bacon.
- Thread onto the skewer. There should be 5 little packages to a skewer.
- Repeat until everything is all used up.
- Grill or bake for about an 40 minutes. Flip the skewers and grill or bake about 20 minutes more.
Just some words of wisdom for you….
If you make it in the oven, use aluminum foil inside a cookie sheet to reduce the mess.
Invest in some disposable vinyl or latex gloves. This will save your hands from the ravages of raw chicken, hot jalapenos etc…it is worth it, I promise.
These are delicious when basted with BBQ sauce too.
I will post the video of me on KPAX as soon as it’s posted.
Be good sweet readers. Not too good though. That’s boring!