I Don’t Think I’ve Ever Said This, But….
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups half & half
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream (divided)
- 2/3 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup cup coffee grounds (rough grind)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 packets Via Dark Roast instant coffee
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 recipe salted whiskey caramel
- In a medium sized heat resistant bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a medium sized pot, whisk half & half, 1 cup of heavy cream, pumpkin puree, coffee grounds, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, instant coffee, sugars and salt over medium heat until steaming (don’t let it come to a boil). Be sure to whisk constantly. Remove from heat, cover and allow to steep for about 20 minutes. Strain through fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl.
- Pour a bit of the strained, hot half & half mixture into the eggs while whisking constantly. This will bring your eggs up to the right heat without scrambling them. Return egg mixture and remaining half & half mixture back to the pot and bring back to a simmer while stirring constantly. The mixture will thicken. Don't let it boil or the egg might curdle. yuck
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a large measuring cup (at least 4 cups). Pour batter into the strainer and stir and press the batter through the strainer. Add the remaining cream, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, until cold.
- Prepare according to ice cream maker’s directions.
- Just before freezing to ripen, layer about 1/3 of the ice cream on the bottom. Top this with about a cup of your caramel sauce. Top that with a little more than 1/2 of the remaining ice cream, top with another cup of caramel, then top with the remaining ice cream. Swirl roughly with a knife, cover and freeze.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold and cubed)
- 3 tablespoons good quality whiskey
- 2 teaspoons course sea salt
- In heavy bottomed pot, combine sugar and water and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is disolved. Cover with a lid and allow the steam to wash the sides of the pot clean of any sugar crystals that may have stuck to the side. This should only take 2 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and allow to boil without stirring until the sugar turns dark amber. Be very careful, it will turn from a beautiful caramel amber color to burnt in seconds. DON'T leave the sugar unattended.
- As soon as it is ready, remove from the heat and add the cream. Be careful, it will steam violently. Stir and add the butter. Stir until it is smooth and creamy. Add the whiskey and course sea salt, stir and set aside to cool
Be good sweet readers :) But not too good! That’s boring. ;)