Let’s Start a Strawberry Shortcake Party Craze!
In the mean time, I would love to share with you MY recipe for strawberry shortcake. It is National Strawberry Shortcake Day after all
. For now, the only picture I have is what my friend Justine took while I was on the set at KPAX making delicious with them. Once I go buy more strawberries and make more (aw shucks) I will take some portraits and supplement for you ;)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2oz freeze dried strawberries (crushed)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (cold and cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 pints fresh strawberries (cut into chuncks)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 2 cups cold whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Place 1/4 cup butter in jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with the lip all around) Set aside
- In medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and freeze dried strawberries.
- Smoosh the butter cubes into the dry ingredients. Try and work quickly and until there are a few pea size pieces of butter left, but most of it rubbed into the flour.
- Whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Pour into the center of the butter/dry ingredients mixture. Gently mix with your hands until it starts to come together a bit. (this is messy, but worth the extra care) Pour out onto clean, lightly floured surface.
- Knead until it comes together completely. Shape into a rough rectangle and fold over onto itself. Press down until it is back to the same size, fold over onto itself again and repeat 5 times.
- Roll into rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into squares, the size of your choosing.
- Place cookie sheet into the oven to melt the butter. Place the biscuits into the cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and fluffy.
- Combine strawberries, 1/3 cup sugar, black pepper and lemon juice. Let set for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile whip cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Split a strawberry biscuit in half, layer with strawberries and whipped cream and smile.