The Macaroni and Cheese That Will Rule the World! What a Happy World It Would Be.
This is a dish that I, admittedly, have tried to change several times, and we always come back to the spectacular amazingness that is this macaroni and cheese. This recipe was handed to me when I first got married to my best friend. It was crazy basic. That worked for me. I was a horrible cook. I actually lit a brownie on fire in the microwave…but that is another story. Back to the mac. When I began to fear the food a little less and start to play a little more, I added one ingredient and it perfected it. You just can’t change this recipe. It is simple, warming, comforting, perfect food.
The main reason I am posting this recipe is for my son, Daniel who will be moving out this weekend. I want him to have this basic comfort when I’m not there to comfort him. Yes, I know…I am only a phone call away and my brother will be there, but I want to be there for him and this will have to do.
|The Macaroni and Cheese That Will Rule the World! What a Happy World It Would Be.||
- 3 cups dry macaroni
- 10 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup half and half (milk would be fine too)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 pan with a little butter or oil.
- While water for macaroni is coming to a boil, fry up the bacon in a medium pan until crispy. When crispy, drain bacon, reserving about 1 Tbsp. of the fat for sauteing onion.
- Boil macaroni as per manufacturers directions. Drain and pour macaroni into the prepared pan topping with the butter.
- Saute the onion in the pan with bacon grease until translucent. Add half and half, salt and pepper. Heat until steaming.
- While the half and half is warming sprinkle about 3-4 cups cheese over the macaroni stirring while you sprinkle so that it is evenly distributed.
- Pour half and half mixture over macaroni mixture then sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle bacon over the mac and cheese and bake for about 10 minutes more.
Be good sweet readers. But not too good! That’s boring. ;)